A. Kirk Reichard, M.D.
- Office: The Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Fax: 509-624-9179
- Office: Downtown Spokane Clinic
- Fax: 509-624-9179
Dr. A. Kirk Reichard is a highly skilled, fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in complex hip and knee joint replacement and revision. Having undergone specific training in his particular subspecialty, Dr. Reichard has a particular aptitude for the anterior approach to total hip replacement, hip revision, partial knee replacement, and knee replacement surgery. In addition, he is a preferred surgeon to perform complex joint reconstruction and revision surgeries, which include joint arthritis and inflammatory conditions, degenerative issues, failed joint surgery, infected joints, and avascular necrosis (blood-flow problem) of hip and knee joints.
After excelling in the Harvard University Health Careers Program, Dr. Reichard earned his Doctorate of Medicine from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in 2005. He completed his internship and spent five years of orthopaedic residency at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. Following his residency, Dr. Reichard was accepted to the Anderson Orthopaedic Research Institute in Alexandria, Virginia, where he dedicated one year, focused exclusively on hip and knee total joint replacement surgery, complex revisions, preoperative pain management and care, bearing surfaces, surgical approaches, and infection of these replacements.
Dr. Reichard was awarded the JBJS Resident Journal Club Grant during his residency and is a two-time winner of the Riley Children's Hospital Red Shoe Award, which honors outstanding accomplishment in patient-centered care. It is this earnest training and dedication, along with his many honors and distinctions that has made Dr. Reichard a premier hip and knee surgeon in Spokane and the Pacific Northwest.
When he's not relieving patients from complex hip and knee injuries and conditions, Dr. Reichard is an avid outdoor athlete who enjoys snowboarding, hiking, and surfing as well as spending time with his wife, Julie, and daughters, Grace and Emma.
University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO, 1996
Health Careers Program, Harvard University Extension School, Cambridge, MA, 2000
University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY, 2005
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, 2005–2006
Orthopaedics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, 2006–2010
Total Joint Replacement, Anderson Orthopaedic Research Institute, Alexandria, VA, 2010–2011
CertificationAmerican Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Washington State Medical Association
- Washington State Orthopaedic Association
- Spokane County Medical Society
Hospital & Surgery Center Affiliations
- MultiCare Deaconess Hospital
- MultiCare Valley Hospital
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- The Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Total Joint Replacement
- Adult Reconstruction
- General Orthopaedics
Awards & Appointments
- Deaconess Hospital Physician of the Quarter, 2013
- Deaconess Hospital Physician of the Year, 2013
- Physician Hero Award, 2013 (regarding the on-scene amputation of Purina employee's leg, which was stuck in an auger)
- Journal of Arthroplasty Reviewer, 2015 - Present
- "Radiographic identification of total hip stems: How good are we?"; submitted for publication
- "Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion for Low Back Pain." 2008
- "External Fixation of Tibial Plateau Fractures: A retrospective evaluation and case review." 2004
- Revision Total Knee: Exposure and Extraction, Knee Arthroplasty Solutions, Depuy Orthopedics, San Francisco, CA (6/7/2019)
- Direct Anterior Total Hip: Tricks and Tips, Orthopedics Today Hawaii, Depuy Orthopedics (1/16/2019)
- Outpatient Total Joint Replacement, Washington State Council of Perioperative Nurses, Chelan, WA (10/11/2018), CME
- Outpatient Total Joint Replacement, Depuy Orthopedics, Seattle, WA (9/22/2017)
- Operation Walk, Panama, 2018
“I have had such a pleasant experience since the first time I came in. Can't thank Dr. Reichard for his expertise and his staff, the entire staff at Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists. My surgery went very well, my recovery has been a great experience and I can't say enough good. Thank you all so very much.” — Rene O.
“I received very positive referrals to Dr. Reichard from 3 friends who recently had the same surgery I was considering. All said he was the best! Two weeks past the surgery I have no complaints!” — Carolyn H.
“I was impressed that I was able to get an appointment with Dr. Reichard within 3 weeks of my phone call. I have never had that quick of a response with ANY new doctor I have tried to see. Dr. Reichard was quick, efficient and yet, put me at ease from the moment we started to talk about my impending surgery. I look forward to seeing him again and working with him closely during my surgery follow-up period.” — Kathileen C.
“It was very thorough and encouraging. I was treated extremely well throughout.” — Kenneth J.
“Wonderful, informed, competent. This was the first time I had a surgery, the experience was better than I expected. Thank you!” — Roberta C.