Michael D. McDonald, M.D.
Dr. McDonald is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of the shoulder hip and knee problems. He has a special interest in reconstructive shoulder surgery including total shoulder and reverse total shoulder replacement, revision total shoulder replacement as well as arthroscopic reconstructions for shoulder dislocations and rotator cuff tears. He also has extensive experience in hip and knee replacement as well as knee arthroscopy. Dr. McDonald has been practicing with Northwest Orthopedic Specialists since 2009.
After graduating from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah with his Bachelor of Science degree, Dr. McDonald received his medical degree at the University of Utah School of Medicine. Following medical school, he completed a general surgery internship and orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He then practiced orthopedics surgery in St. Paul, Minnesota for 9 years before moving to Spokane, Washington to join Northwest Orthopedic Specialists
When not seeing patients, Dr. McDonald enjoys spending time with his family, golfing, fly fishing, skiing and cycling.
Dr. McDonald serves as a team doctor for Freeman High School.
The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 1986-1990
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, 1990-1994
- General Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1993 - 1994
- Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, Chief Resident Research Award, 1995 - 1999
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001
- Freeman High School
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Spokane County Medical Society
- North Pacific Orthopaedic Society
Hospital & Surgery Center Affiliations
- MultiCare Deaconess Hospital
- MultiCare Valley Hospital
- Lincoln County Hospital
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- The Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Shoulder Arthroscopy For Rotator Cuff Tears and Instability
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
- Revision Total Shoulder Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Sports Medicine
- Fracture Care
- Health East Orthopedic Seminar "Distal Tibia and Ankle Fractures" - 2004
- St. Josephs Hospital Grand Rounds "Evaluation and Management of Rotator Cuff Disorders" - 2003
- "Posterior Instability in Athletes" chief resident research award paper - 1999
- Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Boston, MA "Methods of Analyzing Creep and Wear in Joint Replacement" - 1994