Michael D. McDonald, M.D.
Dr. McDonald is an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in all aspects of orthopaedic surgery, including treatment of the elbow, hip, knee, and shoulder. He also specializes in total joint replacements, sports medicine, and general orthopaedics. He has a special interest in treating problems of the shoulder through arthroscopy, total shoulder replacement, and reverse total shoulder replacement. Dr. McDonald began practicing at Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists in 2009.
After graduating from The University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, with his Bachelor of Science degree, Dr. McDonald received his medical degree at the University of Utah School of Medicine. Following medical school, he completed a general surgery internship and orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Dr. McDonald is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
When he is not seeing patients for elbow, hip, joint, knee, shoulder, sports medicine, or trauma-related conditions, Dr. McDonald is spending time with his family, golfing, fly fishing, and skiing. He also enjoys ski touring, and being in the outdoors.
Dr. McDonald serves as a team doctor for University High School.
The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 1990
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, 1994
- General Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1993 - 1994
- Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, Chief Resident Research Award, 1995 - 1999
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001
- University High School
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Spokane County Medical Society
- North Pacific Orthopaedic Society
Hospital & Surgery Center Affiliations
- MultiCare Deaconess Hospital
- MultiCare Valley Hospital
- Lincoln County Hospital
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- The Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Total Joint Replacement
- Sports Medicine
- General Orthopaedics
- Health East Orthopedic Seminar "Distal Tibia and Ankle Fractures" - 2004
- St. Josephs Hospital Grand Rounds "Evaluation and Management of Rotator Cuff Disorders" - 2003
- "Posterior Instability in Athletes" chief resident research award paper - 1999
- Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Boston, MA "Methods of Analyzing Creep and Wear in Joint Replacement" - 1994